particle Lifespan, DEM slower than SPH, This is PRO work!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

particle Lifespan, DEM slower than SPH, This is PRO work!!

Post  utterchaos on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 am

Hey! Wow let me just preface my questions with saying that this plugin has somwe SERIOUS potential!! Last time I was this impressed with a small one man show was with SPH for XSI that later turned into Lagoa by Thiago Costa! This is some great stuff man!

Anyway's so is there a way to set a lifetime to the particles so they die after a certain frame/time?

Is there a reason why the DEM solver is slower than the SPH solver when emitting particles from geometry that is set to the Emission Type "surface"? I am simulating on a GTX 460 which know is a bit older.

I am trying out the beta for Krakatoa for Maya and its all fine and dandy for rendering the particles but as you know it doesn't assist in the simulation department... I am simply trying to get a massive amount of particles to swirl around and move with Maya forces. They don't need to collide or anything.

utterchaos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: particle Lifespan, DEM slower than SPH, This is PRO work!!

Post  Admin on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi!!

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it Smile

Right now there's no lifespan as such, it will be one param for the foam in the next version but not for the fluid particles. Although I'm implementing now an option so the collision objects can kill particles.
You're right about the DEM, should be much faster, try unchecking adaptive substeps and set the subsamples to 6 or 7, it should go faster.
I have to make a big change to the DEM solver cause I want to turn it into a some kind of rigid body solver too, so you can simulate particle clumps to simulate static friction easily, that will help a lot to create sand simulations.

Thanks!
Tony

utterchaos wrote:Hey! Wow let me just preface my questions with saying that this plugin has somwe SERIOUS potential!! Last time I was this impressed with a small one man show was with SPH for XSI that later turned into Lagoa by Thiago Costa! This is some great stuff man!

Anyway's so is there a way to set a lifetime to the particles so they die after a certain frame/time?

Is there a reason why the DEM solver is slower than the SPH solver when emitting particles from geometry that is set to the Emission Type "surface"? I am simulating on a GTX 460 which know is a bit older.

I am trying out the beta for Krakatoa for Maya and its all fine and dandy for rendering the particles but as you know it doesn't assist in the simulation department... I am simply trying to get a massive amount of particles to swirl around and move with Maya forces. They don't need to collide or anything.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://ionic.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top